Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

DIY Heart Patch Baby Leggings

My husband and Isla are in Fort Myers this weekend, so I have had a very productive 24 hours. We typically clean one room a day. Therefore, the entire house is never clean at the same time unless Isla is out of town. In addition to cleaning and organizing, I spent a lot of time napping checking off some diy projects on my list. The weather has been gloomy and our pool is closed for repairs. We only have one car, so when I'm home alone on a rainy weekend, my entertainment is limited.

Isla is now 18 months and still not walking 100%. She takes more steps everyday, but still knee walking and crawling for part of the day. We only have carpet in the bedrooms, so Isla spends most of her day crawling around on tile. She has worn down the knees on some of my favorite leggings. I decided to patch a few pairs that still fit her.

I'm not going to lie, each knee patch took about 25-30 minutes. The sewing will take less time if you use a different stitch. I'm pretty happy how these turned out and I know she'll love the new hearts on her knees!


Obviously diy is more fun with a cocktail! The Tervis says it all :) World's Best Mediocre Mom


Gather your goods! You can see the worn knees on these gold polka dot leggings. You'll also need embroidery thread, a needle with a large eye, pins, felt, scissors, and a template for your shape. I did a heart, but you can really do any shape you'd like. Check out these and these for more ideas.


I cut a few paper heart templates before I settled on the right shape + size. Fold your felt in half, pin the template, and cut. Your felt won't have the shiny backside. This remnant was from a prior project that required heat-n-bond so that's why the backside of my felt is shiny.


I pinned the patches to the leggings to ensure minimal movement during my stitching.


I'm in love!


 My stitches aren't exact and I actually really like the look of the random placement. If your OCD won't allow for this, you can pre-mark your felt with your needle before you pin the patch on the pants; the needle will easily find the pin holes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment